The point of this blog...my kid, of course.

Chamberlyn's T1 Diabetes D-Day (Diagnosis Day) was October 19, 2010. I decided to start writing her story almost nine months later because managing her diabetes is what our family does best. We have our "highs" and "lows" when dealing with this confounding autoimmune disease, and I hope our posts can provide some insight on the daily life of a person with T1 diabetes.

Friday, August 31, 2012

Starting the school year with a BOLUS BANG!

If there's anything this family does well, it's multitasking all types of stress. AND we do it on purpose! So, we got her supplies for school ready, and not just her classroom supplies, either. Her diabetes supplies included: extra syringes, insulin, alcohol wipes, lancets, lancet device, ketone strips, meter, and food to the new nurse, substitute forms for every teacher, and lock-down boxes for every teacher. Our table looked like we were packing for a hurricane for awhile.


I stressed about her first day until I finally decided to email the Assistant Principal about my concerns. They were more than willing to allow Cham and I to walk her schedule to each class and have a short conversation with each teacher about the sub sheet and lockdown box the Friday before she started school. Every teacher we met was patient and spoke to Cham about letting them know if she needed to leave to go test her BG. I relaxed a bit after that, and once she started on Monday, she relaxed. She tests between bells and tries to beat it back to class. Her numbers were super high the first couple of days...but as we all know - stress causes high BG.
 
So yes - we settle into the week and then oh yeah, we have to go to pump training so that she can put it on. That's right...the first week of school. UGH! I knew we would get it in August and not July when I really wanted to watch her and get used to it!!! So we started it last night - her numbers were nice at midnight and 2 (because Lantus was still in her system and we ran the program at -50%). Once the program started running during the school day today, our world was rocked. I felt like I was herding cats. We couldn't keep her numbers up - she stayed in the 60's most of the day and I think the nurse said she gave her about 6 bars. I don't think she'll eat a bar for awhile! Once we called the Animas nurse, she said what we were thinking - reduce the basal rate. So far, so good. Her dinner number was good and I will test her again before bed, and probably at 2 just to be safe. Of course, today was school picture day so she had to look cute, so did her pump. Here she is with a pump flower from Hanky Pancreas. We've bought every bell and whistle to deck this pump out. We even have some Groovy Patches on the way. She loves the freedom so far and so do I - I poked her because I had to and I didn't realize how much I hated doing it until our first bolus last night.

 

2 comments:

  1. Love this! You guys are so cute! :))

    <3
    Jessica "Hanky Pancreas" Floeh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Chamberlyn, I found your blog because I am wearing insulin pump. I saw your photo when dancing and I think products I have made could help you when dancing, to wear your pump easy without risk to drop it or anyone seeing it. Please see more on my website, Welcome to http://www.annaps.com/en/webshop.html to read more. Sizes on garments from 3years and up to adults. I am happy to see a girl as you. Take care and lots of good luck. Best Regards from Anna in Sweden (in Europe)

    ReplyDelete